Wednesday, August 24, 2011

First Day of Class

Summer vacation is officially over. Some highlights from the first day of class, since I am too lazy to be a good writer tonight:


  • My expository writing professor seems nice. I learned about H. L. Mencken today because I signed up to write a paper about one of his essays... he seems like an interesting character. My dad apparently has a few books by him.
  • Western Civilizations II seems ok. We'll see how that goes...
  • My library employer Cindy Schoolcraft is an awesomely nice person! She gave me my own orientation today, and I found out that Kat Barden (another awesomely nice person) had created a "spiritual space" in the library, with nice pillows and a prayer list, as well as a holy books bookshelf, among other things. The bookshelf had several Qur'ans, Bibles, and the Torah, but no Books of Mormon. So I think it'd be a good idea to get a nice copy, maybe even put "Westminster College" on the front. And since Westminster has a high international student population (from 65 countries), I even think it'd be neat to have some in different languages. Just a thought :)
  • I finished buying my textbooks. I hope the ones I ordered online come in soon!
  • I finished scheduling my library hours, and soon I'll post my schedule.
  • Dance was all right. We learned the Electric Slide, the Waltz, Fox Trot, and Rumba. I'm not a natural dancer, but it was fun.
Dinner was delicious. We had Macaroni and Cheese, and Bacon Wrapped Green Beans with a garlicky onion sauce, and then strawberries filled with sweet cream cheese drizzled in chocolate. It was WONDERFUL!

Also, Eric got a call from the MTC today. It was an over-the-phone Spanish test to see where he was as far as language fluency, and it sounds like he did pretty well! I'm so proud of him :)

Later,

--Sannah

P.S. Eric and I made the Brazilian Lemonade, and boy was it great. We also made pudding hot cocoa. Mmm mmm! I drove to see him on Monday night and stayed at his parents house till I had to go to Library training the next afternoon. It was a spur of the moment sort of thing, but it was so worth it! I got to surprise Eric on his one break at Walmart (I was lucky to arrive just as he went on break), go on a walk with Debra and her friend, watch Home Alone on a 1996 tape, and make some good food! I love him.

Oh yeah, and writing prompt:
 Imagine you had a hundred dollars, but you couldn't keep it. You had to give it away to a person or charity. Who would you give it to? What would you want them to do with it?
(Another money-related one?)
This one is easy. I would a) Give it to Eric for his Missionary Fund, or b) Give it to Matt and Sarah to go eat at a nice place a few times, since I don't have enough money yet to give them a decent wedding present. (It'll come once I start working, I promise!) I'm not a very good sister :(

No comments:

Post a Comment