Thursday, August 18, 2011

Even the blogs are multi-tasking!

In order to make My Mountaintop a little more interesting for me to write, I think I'd like to write both whatever's current in my life, plus a response to a writing prompt, and maybe several writing prompts if my answer is short/boring. Maybe that'll be a good exercise as well for creative writing!

In other news, I'm going with Eric and Jon's family tomorrow to the St. Louis temple, and afterwards we'll be going to the Missouri Botanical Gardens! I'm looking forward to that, I hope we drive safely. For the past couple of days, I've mostly read, gone swimming, and tried to play "The Morning Breaks" on the piano. (Here's the Tabernacle Choir singing "The Morning Breaks"). It's slow going, but I think it'd be great to learn how to play the piano a little better. Still not sure exactly what I'll be doing for school, but I guess for now, I'll just keep studying Economics with a bit more emphasis in law/politics. That seems like a fine plan to me.

And poor Eric! He's had to work so hard, because the managers at Walmart keep scheduling him to work entire shifts by himself in the middle of the day! And it's a huge Walmart, too. He finally brought it up to the managers, and they just completely blew him off, like it wasn't a serious concern. It makes me really mad! But anyway, I'll get to the writing exercise.

Spoonbricks*

The spoonbricks were so excited for the family reunion! Spoonbrick family reunions only happened when they had to build a house for someone, and then they all stayed in the walls until someone decided to tear them down. In fact, they actually were a little in denial when someone wanted to tear down their building.

They would wait for the construction crews and equipment to arrive, and only when a wrecking ball and crane drove too close to the building would one of the spoonbricks would yell "Run for it!" and they'd all chaotically bounce out of the wall. Since the spoonbricks made up the wall, the roof would soon collapse after they bounded out of the scene in a big cloud of dust. But all of that would happen years down the road, if ever, and today was a joyous day to build!

"Come on, spoonbricks! We've got a job to do!" Said one of the brave spoonbricks. The excited spoonbricks gracefully hopped and leaped the long distance to the open lot where the house would be built. As they traveled, they all sang "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh," starting at a mid-range pitch and ascending, kind of like Ariel in The Little Mermaid, but it was a whole group of them and they weren't always in unison.

When they finally got to the building site, the brave spoonbrick said "Happy family reunion, everyone! Let the festivities begin!" All the spoonbricks began stacking themselves into a wall. Even though no one was directing them, they all knew what to do. The spoonbricks also had this classic prank to play on the top row of spoonbricks.

When the first spoonbrick on the top row jumped up there, the whole wall jiggled and quivered. "Woah!" It shouted. Then the second landed next to it, and the building wiggled and wobbled like Jello. "Uh oh, I don't like the looks of this," it said worriedly . By the time the fifth spoonbrick tried to get on top, the whole building was violently swaying and lurching back and forth so hard that half of the spoonbricks were flung into a nearby field. "Haha, good prank, everyone," the seasick spoonbrick said as he threw up. "Yes, yes, that was awfully funny, but we're behind schedule, so let's move!" the brave and slightly cranky spoonbrick from the nearby field said.

The spoonbricks worked quickly and made up on lost time. It wasn't before long that they had built the new home and were singing their song that they always sang when they completed a building:

"We are fam-i-ly! I got all my spoonbricks with me! (Repeat Chorus many times)" 


And they were family. And sometimes, that's all you can say.

THE END

 

*Spoonbricks are pretty much how you imagine them. A brick that has a spoon in it. Or on it... or something.


No comments:

Post a Comment