Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Getting life into order, one step at a time

This past President's Day weekend was good in the sense that, little by little, I'm gaining control over my life.

Friday, Eric and I went to the temple again because we had felt so great the day before when we went. After that, we went to Arby's and had medium roast beef sandwiches, which left such an impression that I'm including it in a post four days after the fact... they were really good, though!

Another thing that happened this weekend was Eric and I finished the Twilight Zone, season two. It would have been really cool if the first disc for that season hadn't been scratched up, but we were lucky that the Logan library had the collection in the first place. The last disc had some bonus features, one of which was an interview with Rod Serling and Mike Wallace (See part one out of three here).  It struck me about how articulate and genuine Serling seemed; they don't make celebrities like him anymore. It doesn't surprise me at all that a great series like the Twilight Zone came from such an intelligent and principled man.

On Saturday, I spent a lot of the day cleaning. I ended up cutting my finger on the mop and accidentally spraying bleach in my eyes, not to mention discovering a LOT of some nasty yellow powder that's under the big rug in our living room (from the nasty rug... it smelled awful. And got all over my pants. I don't know what it is). Our friend Jon came over, and cooked a delicious lunch of mussels and mustard greens, and later Sarah's old friends Nick, Jeff, Ryan, and a girl named Crystal came over for games and stayed for about four hours or so. Sarah seemed to have a lot of fun, which is good for her. After everyone but Ryan left, Eric and I played learned how to play Spades with Ryan and Sarah. Ryan and I (or should I say, "Team Glasses") lost, but it was a lot of fun.

Sunday, I went to Eric's ward, and for some reason we were both extremely tired. The Relief Society lesson was about Service, and I really liked it a lot. Serving others is something that I'd like to do a lot more of! After church, we went to his stake president's house for a Missionary Fireside. In attendance were a few recent converts and investigators. President and Sister Lambert are extremely nice people, and it was a very comfortable get-together. Eric and another recent convert shared their conversion stories and testimonies, and afterward President Lambert served Aggie Blue Mint  ice cream, which was delicious and one of my favorite flavors (Aggie Bull Tracks might be my favorite). Eric did a really nice job on sharing his testimony, and it was an overall enjoyable meeting.

Yesterday, Eric and I had fun going sledding down old main hill, and then I spent the rest of the day helping Sarah clean Matt's stuff out of her room. Everything looks really nice in the basement now, and there are only a few things left to do before it's completely clean. It's very exciting and a relief all at once. Now I just have to straighten my room and study my butt off for my Accounting test on Friday. Eric was nice enough last night to cook macaroni and cheese for Sarah and I, and I made the mistake of giving a few little noodles to the cat, who was yammering its head off. I assumed that like the other cats I've owned, it wouldn't really be interested in human food. I was VERY wrong.

After gobbling up those pieces, it refused to eat its own food. It balanced on its back legs, looking in every pot and pan for some more macaroni. When I got a cup to get some juice for Eric, it stood in front of me, looking at the cup and meowing. "Look," I said, tipping the cup upside down so it could see it was empty. "I don't have any macaroni." It promptly hissed at me and clawed my leg. Sarah later found it on our dish-drying rack licking the wooden spoon that Eric had used to make macaroni.

Thanks to its little kitty over-reaction, we now know it can't handle itself, and so there is now a new rule in this house: NO MACARONI FOR THE CAT.

--Sannah Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment