Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Some Sunday Thoughts

Life has been good. Work is very busy for both Eric and I, but I finished this semester's classes last week! We're teaching three and four year old kids at church, and we will soon be visiting some of our friends in Colorado Springs! :) Lately, Eric has been reading Brad Thor thriller books (good for summer), and I have been trying to get used to the feeling of not always having homework to do. I don't really feel comfortable having free time... When I try to read, I always have the thought that there must be something that I am probably neglecting. I want to get into the habit though! We have recently started watching Fixer Upper, which has been fun! I like Eric's commentary when we watch TV. Season 1: Episode 8 was kind of funny because Joanna turned a garage into a "sitting room" for the lady who was moving to the house. It looked nice, but was really more of a novelty than something practical.

We also recently got TheBlaze TV, as well as Levin TV, and those both have great programs. (Although I am less than interested in political news right now.) The libertarian debate was a disappointment. I always go on the Cato Institute's website, so for some reason I was expecting the debate to be more scholarly than it was. Gary Johnson was I think maybe fiscally conservative on some things, but liberal in the social realm, which to me is different than libertarian. He acted like he was too cool to be there. I liked what Austin Peterson had to say, but he's so young... He seems eager-beaver and lack polish. I don't think he's going to gain much traction, but he's my favorite of the candidates currently running. John McAffee (if that's his name, I don't care enough to look it up) was just completely unhinged and he took the quality of the debate way down. He wasn't libertarian, he was anarchist. His answer for everything was that libertarians should run around naked shouting that they are libertarian, and that way they'll be in the news. And that the government shouldn't pay for "anything".

Eric and I started reading Othello together, and we are having fun coming up with different voices for the characters. Eric has played Iago for the first 2 Acts, and he's been like "Oh boy, here's my evil monologue  to end the scene..." It's fun.

Anyway, Sunday thoughts. Today while I was sitting in church, I had a thought that is pretty obvious, but I still wanted to share: Reading the scriptures is a means to an end. I sometimes rush through whatever verses I'm reading on a given day, because I want to get through it. "There, I read a chapter for today. Don't ask me in 2 hours what it was about..." The whole point of scriptures is that they will change you, and be written on your heart. I need to change my focus when I read.


No comments:

Post a Comment