Thursday, January 5, 2017

Snow Day!

My car didn't make it up the hill near my house today because of the snow. I had to turn around and go back home, so here I am! I've had a pretty lazy day. I caught the cold Eric had that kept him home yesterday.



Two days ago I watched scenes from Whiplash, a movie by the same director of La La Land. Eric fast-forwarded some of the parts (it was kind of intense for me), but I thought it was really thought-provoking! Basically, it's about a Jazz drummer who is invited to join one of the best college jazz bands in the country, but he finds out that the director sadistically belittles the students to get the best results from them.



Good music in that movie! Here's a piece called Caravan. 





And then yesterday, Eric and I watched The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, or Les Parapluies de Cherbourg. The whole movie is sung all the way through. It's surprising how quickly you get used to it! I liked it, it had a lot of things going for it visually! The 60's vibe was strong :)



And famously from this movie is this song "I will wait for you". The girl's boyfriend was drafted for the Algerian War for two years... I can relate to the rip-your-heart-out feeling of seeing someone you love leave for two years.




It's so funny, because lately I feel like when I have asked Dad about whether he's seen this movie or that movie (usually something I hadn't heard of before), he's just like "Oh yeah! Of course!"
Like when I was really into The Red Shoes (and I might go into that sometime), I asked him if he had ever seen it. He said "Every student who wanted to be a dancer has seen that movie!" When I texted him last night about whether he had seen The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, he responded "En francaise? Les Parapluies de Cherbourg. I have the video. I, along with every other male French language student was in love with Catherine Deneuve."

This was a movie that I had never heard of until that evening when Eric was talking about it. And Dad has the video! He sure knows a lot. Anyway, poor Mom has had migraines and seizures lately. I hope she gets better!

Now I'm going to try to clean bit before Eric gets home!

-Sannah


No comments:

Post a Comment