Sunday, August 30, 2015

Back to School :)

It has been far longer than I intended since my last blog post! For a brief update, I have since started working at a law firm, and Eric and I have moved to a new apartment that I LOVE!! It is very close to my work and has a lot more space than our apartment in Utah. It also is pretty quiet, which is a pleasant first. Eric picked a good one! 

We had a wonderful experience with the members of the Kansas City 3rd Ward, and I hope that they are all doing well. Our new ward is a bilingual ward, and a vast majority of the adults are Spanish-speaking. Some of the talks and messages in sacrament meeting are in English, and some are in Spanish. A translator speaks into a microphone near the front of the room, and some of the members wear headphones to understand. Eric speaks Spanish, and so it is a very interesting experience! 

We had a good summer, though. We went to Nauvoo, walked around pretty areas of Kansas City, visited family, and went canoeing with my friend Jenni who is still visiting Missouri from Hawaii :)

Night classes started up again, and so with that and a full-time job, I'm feeling a little busy, but I am excited for all that I will learn. I think working at a law firm while I am taking these classes will definitely help me to retain what I'm learning a little better! I'm going to try my best to reserve Sunday's for rest and for thinking about the Savior and his teachings, and not to do homework. I've noticed that when I am busy, I almost need that day of rest and reflection more than I do in other times! It's easy for me to get sort of weighed down by sad news stories and just life in general, so it is nice to do what I can to add a calm and happy spirit to my home. Eric really contributed this evening by practicing and singing along with a couple hymns he likes :) 




I think I will end today by sharing a little poem that I liked:

Talk Happiness

Talk happiness. The world is sad enough
Without your woe. No path is wholly rough; 
Look for places that are smooth and clear, 
And speak of those, to rest the weary ear Of Earth, so hurt by one continuous strain
Of human discontent and grief and pain.

Talk faith. The world is better off without 
Your uttered ignorance and morbid doubt.
If you have faith in God, or man, or self,
Say so. If not, push back upon the shelf
Of silence, all your thoughts till faith shall come;
No one will grieve because your lips are dumb.

Talk health. The dreary, never-ending tale 
Of mortal maladies is more than stale.
One cannot charm, or interest, or please
By harping on that minor chord, disease. 
Say you are well, or all is well with you,
And God shall hear your words and make them true.

- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Thanks for reading! Until next time!

- Sannah




No comments:

Post a Comment